I had a fabulous trip to New York City at the end of July and one of the highlights was a visit to renowned costume jewelers, Ciner. Kris Ciulla, the VP of Sales and Design invited me to stop by their NYC showroom and factory to get a glimpse of this fabled jewelry house. Kris showed me pieces from the archives, took me through the production area to see skilled artisans including the caster, the rhinestone setter, and quality control. The company is still run by Pat Ciner Hill, a descendant of founder Emanuel Ciner. It was fantastic. And so much fun to talk to a fellow jewelry lover! I was not allowed to take photos, due to a market week and their busy schedule, however I can assure you the jewelry was beautiful and you can check out their website, Cinerny, here.
Here are just some of my favorite pieces. All of these are available to buy on Ciner’s website. Click on each photo to go over to their website and get more details. I am loving these turquoise blue pieces. I would wear all 3 of these bracelets together!
I adore this two headed frog bracelet, $525!
If you are looking for brooches, they make beautiful pieces with lots of inspiration from nature and interpreting the classic Maltese Cross design.
Love the brooch with the bees! This is a special pin in that it celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Ciner Company. Ombre 100th Anniversary pin $225
Ciner also has a wonderful selection of wedding appropriate jewelry. This butterfly is lovely and charming. Shown below is the Baroque Butterfly Brooch $330
Here are some interesting facts about this amazing costume jeweler:
- Founded in 1892 by Emanuel Ciner.
- Originally started as a fine jeweler and evolved into a leader of fine quality costume jewelry in the late 30’s that was made in America. Many of the techniques Ciner uses on producing costume jewelry are fine jewelry techniques. For example, finishing costume pieces with 18k gold plating.
- They are the oldest remaining costume jeweler that manufactures start to finish in New York City and are still family owned and operated.
- They are the only American jewelry company to manufacture high quality costume jewelry completely in house.
- Elizabeth Taylor owned Ciner jewelry and several of her suites sold for thousands of dollars at the Sothebys-Elizabeth Taylor auction a few years ago.
- Remember that issue of W a few years ago that featured Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in an extensive pictorial feature? Angelina wears several pair of Ciner earrings. Wish I still had my copy!
- Many well know American retailers partner with Ciner to create private label jewelry collections. I realized that several of my pieces were in fact inspired and designed by Ciner
To learn more about Ciner, visit their website here. You can shop for beautiful necklaces, bracelets, earrings and brooches on the site and it is packed with great information regarding the history of the company and features a fun press archive section, with awesome vintage photos. Here are a few from their website.Hope you enjoyed this look at Ciner New York. It was such a treat to visit the showroom in New York. I know I’ll be on the lookout for these beautiful pieces!
Do you have any Ciner jewelry? Leave a comment below and tell me about it or post a photo.